Thursday, April 22, 2010

supa grova is ova...and my absolute favorite party decoration...



The Super Grover Rave was such a special event for so many reasons. I had so much fun thinking of unique and extraordinary ideas to incorporate into this little shindig.
It is no secret that I love anything handmade. It is an amazing feeling to be able to make such beautiful things out of paper, yarn, glitter and every day materials. I live for that challenge.

Super Grover was the perfect theme for my son's 5th Birthday. First, my son adores him. Second, Super Grover is a hero, but not perfect-he's a regular guy with super abilities (or so he believes) which is a beautiful message in itself for all kids and adults alike. Third, no one ever chooses him to design a party around-Elmo gets all the love... Lastly, he has the letter "G" on his chest, which is also my son's initial, so that sealed the deal..LOL!

Super Grover's costume was made for him by his Mommy and he believed he turned Superhero when wearing it. His cape was tied on with a piece of thick yarn. I tried to use yarn elements wherever possible and I think it was adorable. I also made my first attempts at real pom pom making...It was not that difficult, but it was quite messy...Who knew?

Super Grover is also usually shown flying in the clouds, so I thought clouds would be a natural complement to the overall decor...There is nothing more fun and meaningful to me than to work on handmade partyware for my own children. I also tried to make this party spectacular for the little guests attending. These guests were just too cute and I hope they loved every minute. Designing the overall party was a challenge in itself because it all had to be done indoors. NY in April is rarely warm outside, so indoors was the way it had to be. I also had to decorate and coordinate the main floor, the entire basement and other key areas throughout the house. Would have been way easier to just do a jazzy dessert table and call it a day, but I am a party mama through and through and love to make things way complicated and challenging:)

I did have a few mishaps and Super Grover Wrecks (I am big CakeWrecks blog fan, and the running joke with me and my sister is- when something we attempt goes wrong, we add "wreck" to the end to indicate it is a screw-up. ie:cupcake wreck, banner wreck, meatball wreck, cape wreck, etc...you get the gist) ....Point is...I'm only human and it does not matter how many lists I write out-stuff happens...and, really, what's a party without a few key items being forgotten to take out of the fridge?! Or a few prizes being forgotten to be dished out..Or a cloud falling on someone's head? Okay, the last one did not really happen, but it totally COULD have....

If anyone would like details on how I made something or where I bought any items, just let me know. I can also post tutorials or more details if anyone has any interest. I love to help out fellow party Mamas...


I do have to thank and I mean seriously THANK my sister, and unbelievable artist, Joie. She was my angel that flew in from Florida to help me with this rave and there is no way I could have had such a fabulous event without her. She created those beautiful clouds above the dessert buffet, the mask project and of course the Super Grover Canvases. Each child even had their own initial on the chest in the painting. A-MAZ-ING. So special that she could be there and help me out in so many ways...We planned many a fabulous idea over roast beef, provolone on wheat bread with a little mayo-Love you sissy:)

I did design, create and handcraft so much of these unique elements-I really did put a lot of thought, effort and love into my son's birthday celebration.
I think it was a ridiculously adorable party and a good time was had by all...

I would like to share with you the most special & meaningful party element--that truly touched my heart and soul. In the middle of all the pre-party preparation, running around, setting up, overall insanity-my older son, who is 6, came to me and said "I need to show you something Mommy." I kind of brushed him off, but he insisted he had to show me something important that he made for his brother's party. In the middle of all of my picture perfect, strategically set up party decor, my son had made a picture for his brother's party. To help me decorate. It is a picture of Super Grover, his helmet, cape, clouds all around and Gavin. He secured it on the wall with Post It notes, in the middle of the main party room. I have never seen a more beautiful & selfless piece of artwork in my life. Beyond Proud. I am one very lucky girl....








8 comments :

~Brandy~ said...

That's adorable that your son drew that pic and you were able to add it to the party! :)

Kustom Kreations by Elisha Akram said...

That was just too sweet! Now that makes you feel real warm & fuzzy on the inside! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

awww how sweet! You did an amazing job and I am sure everyone appreciated it and had a fab time! Hats off Supa Mom!

hugs
Kim @ Frost Me!

Kristy {the purple pug} said...

Thanks. Such a sweet picture from my little boy's heart...Love things like that:)

Candy and Cake Sugar Designs said...

Wow, that is a tear jerker. Your story about your son brought a tear to my eye.

Candy and Cake Sugar Designs said...

Wow, that is a tear jerker. Your story about your son brought a tear to my eye.

maribeth said...

a mama after my own heart!

Tiff Keetch said...

This is such an adorable party! You did a great job. I'm throwing a school themed 1st birthday bash for my little girl (think dick and jane, abc, 123) and I was wondering where you snagged those red lunch-tray type plates for your party?